Sometimes authors offer their books for free as a MOBI or EPUB file either directly to you through email or from book sites such as Smashwords. However if you’re like me, you may find having to go through new channels annoying if not daunting. But you’re missing out on a lot of great content so let me show you just how quick and easy it is to get these books onto your Kindle!
First thing to note is that Kindle reads MOBI files so if you can get that version, do so. If EPUB is the only option available, don’t worry! All you need to do differently is save the EPUB file, then convert it to MOBI before doing the steps below. You can convert EPUB files to MOBI files for free using this online converter.
- Save the MOBI file to your computer.
- Connect your phone/tablet or Kindle Reader to your computer using your USB/charger cord.
- Go to where the MOBI file is saved on your computer.
- Cut or copy the file.
- Go to your phone/tablet or Kindle Reader through the file explorer on your computer:
- it’s usually found under the ‘This PC’ tab
6. Double click on ‘Internal Storage’
7. Double click on the ‘Kindle’ folder
8. Paste the MOBI file into the Kindle folder.
9. If you’re using a Kindle Reader (or other sensitive device), make sure you ‘Safely Remove Mass Storage Device’ on Windows or ‘Eject’ on Mac before disconnecting your device. (This can be found in the bottom right of your computer screen. Click the arrow, then click the icon, then wait until your computer prompts you to remove your device.)
10. Done. You should know be able to see your new ebook on your Kindle App or Reader.